Sunday, August 31, 2008

What Is Stopping You From Making Your Life The Best?

Do you know when you have worked so hard to complete a puzzle only to find as you have nearly finished, there was a missing piece stopping you from completing it?

Isn't that frustrating?! I have been doing this my entire life. There has always been this piece of me where I couldn't figure out why I had a fear of money and held to the belief that I wasn't smart and worthy enough to make money.

I have a Master's degree in Clinical Social Work. You would think with a Master's Degree, a degree I worked long and hard for...hours of study, classes, clinicals, internships, volunteering, that I would have made more than a person working at a fast food restaurant and believed my services, time, and effort is worth more.

My Graduate School


I was always told (and worse, I believed) by my parents, school, and society that if I worked hard and had a good education I would be rewarded and live a good life.

That didn't happen for me. I worked up to 70-80 hours a week in a very stressful position (Sexual Assault Coordinator) and made about $6.90 per hour! My resposibilities included psychotherapy with a case load of 30-50 people, 3 groups, PR for the program, statistics and feedback info. collection, community out reach, conference coordination and training, and expert testifying. Crazy huh!!

You would think I had at least a secretary or someone to help... Nope! All me, one person. I was so insane for taking this job. I think a lot had to do with the piece that was missing (I think it was lost in the couch!)

If you want to learn more about where I found my missing piece, go here.

1 comment:

momof2 said...

Wow - that is crazy! I thought biologist were payed low for what we do! (I have an M.S. in Zoology) That sounds like it was really tough work too - gut wrenching. I think you have an amazing skill.